All recipe posts are written by our co-founder Jennifer J. Yoo unless otherwise noted.
However busy we get, my girl friends and I try to get together at least once a month to either cook up a simple meal or order Chinese food. I most recently put together one of my go-to dishes for us, rice noodles with vegetables and shrimps. . A perfect one pot throw down, it takes less than 30 minutes to put this dish together - giving you more time to catch up over wine or margaritas. Rice noodles are more delicate that ramen or udon noodles, so this dish is put together similar to a simple pasta, where the vegetables and protein first, noodles cooked separately, then all tossed in together for the grand finale.
TIME 30 minutes
- 12 oz regular width dried rice noodles
- 1 bunch of broccolini, about 1/2 lbs
- 5-6 scallions, cut into about 3" slices
- 12 oz or 3/4 lbs shrimps
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 3.5 oz or 100g oyster mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons cheongjang soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper powder
- Infrared roasted sesame oil, to be drizzled
- Place dried rice noodles in a bowl and gently pour hot water. Set aside. This will allow noodles to cook.
- In a small bowl add soy sauce, oyster sauce and white pepper. Set aside.
- Cut scallions and broccolini into about 3" pieces. Set aside the scallions and blanch broccolini for about 3 minutes. Rinse with cold water, drain and set aside.
- Gently tear oyster mushrooms into strips. You can cut off and discard any dried pieces or the bottom 'root' that may still have dirt.
- Drain the noodles, if it has been about 7-10 minutes(depends on how hot your water was and how thin your rice noodles are), and drizzle sesame oil on top and quickly toss so that the noddle strands are not sticking to each other. Noodles should be mostly soften but still with a bit of a bite - it will cook further as it gets tossed in the wok. Set aside noodles for now.
- In a wok, put in about 1/2 teaspoon of oil and when heated, add minced garlic and ginger. Add broccolini and mushrooms. Cook, while mixing for about 3-5 minutes. Add shrimp. Cook for another 3-5 minutes until shrimp starts turning pink. Add scallion and noodles, toss.
- Add the small bowl soy sauce mixture in. Toss.
- Prior to serving you may drizzle a little bit more sesame oil and add a pinch of salt or more soy sauce should you need. Serve immediately.
© 2019, Gotham Grove