All recipe posts are written by our co-founder Jennifer J. Yoo unless otherwise noted.
Growing up my mom would occasionally put together 'Kongnamul Bap': A warm bowl of rice cooked with bean sprouts. It's light, easy on your stomach (should you be like me and your digestive system screams for a day off here and there) but most of all, it's delicious and filling, making it an ultimate comfort food. I now make a batch of it (this recipe will be good for 3-6 people) and my husband and I will snack on it for couple of days. The sauce is a fairly standard (but delicious!) sauce that can also be used as a dipping sauce for pan fried dumplings or even tossed with lettuce and scallion and served with Korean BBQ. Serve the sauce on the side so that it can be mixed in to your liking.
TIME 30 minutes plus rice soaking time
- 1 1/2 cup short grain rice(also known as Japanese rice, sushi rice)
- 150-200g bean sprouts/mung beans, cleaned
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2-3 pieces of kombu/dashi and dried scallops (optional)*
- 4 tablespoons ganjang soy sauce or 3yr aged ganjang soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon infrared roasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons infrared roasted sesame seeds
- 1 scallion, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons gochugaru*
**Gochugaru is a Korean sun dried chili flakes. We are hoping to bring an awesome version of this in house but in the mean time you will be able to find gochugaru at your local Asian market.
- Clean rice by rinsing it 2-3 times under water. Add cleansed rice into a bowl with warm water and let sit for about 30 minutes. This is an optional step - rice is frequently pre-soaked in Korea as it shortens cooking time and people believe it gives a fluffier texture to the final product.
- Meanwhile, clean bean sprouts and set aside.
- Combine all sauce ingredients and set aside.
- In a pot, add half the rice and bean sprouts, the kombu and dried scallops if using, topped with the rest of the rice and bean sprouts. Gently add water.
- Cook for about 20-25 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve immediately with sauce on the side.
© 2019, Gotham Grove