All recipe posts are written by our co-founder Jennifer J. Yoo unless otherwise noted.
I love chicken and this is probably one of my favorite ways to have them. The gochujang sauce is so simple to make. All you need is a little bit of marinade time so I normally put it together the night prior and pop it in the oven the following night. I seem to always have a surplus of left over rice from my Chinese food take out so I normally make this dish over a bed of rice. It may seem like couple extra steps, but it's all very simple and once it's done, you will have a complete meal, ready to go! Should you decide to go that route, add about 1/2cup to 2/3 cup (depending on the pan size and amount of rice) of chicken stock in to the rice. This will prevent the rice from drying up too much in the oven. You may need to add about 5 minutes of cooking time as the and will also want to flip the chicken at least couple of times so that it will cook evenly.
TIME Prep time 15 minutes + marinade time up to overnight
- 2 chicken drumsticks and 2 thighs, about 1 1/2 lbs
- 2 tablespoons gochujang
- 1 tablespoon jinjang, aged soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon infrared roasted sesame oil
- If cooking on bed of rice - add one container of rice (Chinese food take out), 1/2 onion chopped, and about 1/2 cup -2/3 cup of chicken stock. You want the rice to fully mixed in with the stock but not have too much stock to a point that your chicken is submerged.
- Score the chicken diagonally. This will help the marinade process and cook the meat evenly.
- Add chicken into a bowl or a large ziploc. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add gochujang, minced garlic, soy sauce, honey and sesame oil. Mix gently and add into the chicken. Seal tightly and keep in fridge for at least 2-3 hours, up to a day.
- Heat oven to 425°F and cook chicken for 20-25 minutes. Turn chicken at least once or preferably twice and put residual sauce on top when turning chicken. If you are cooking on a bed of rice like on the photo, rotate chicken at least twice and add about 5 minutes in cooking time.
- Set oven to broil and cook chicken for another 3-5 minutes, which will get the skin to crisp up and edges to char nicely. The internal temperature of the chicken should be at 165°F.
© 2019, Gotham Grove