All recipe posts are written by our co-founder Jennifer J. Yoo unless otherwise noted.
As kimchi ripens, more sour and deeper in flavor it gets, making it perfect for a different array of dishes. One of my all time favorite is kimchi chigae(stew), a comfort food that is probably one of the most loved dish in Korea. Every household has its way of making kimchi chigae and I am no exception. Pork and onion are match made in heaven paired with kimchi, balancing the spicy flavor with a hint of sweetness. Scallion kimchi was used for this version of the chigae but you can easily replace it with regular kimchi.
TIME 30 minutes
SERVES 4-6 people, serve with rice and side dishes
- 1 1/2 cup scallion kimchi (or other type of ripe kimchi)
- 1/2 lbs pork (preferably a cut with some fat that can render such as pork butt or belly)
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 3 cup chicken stock* (you can use vegetable or dashi stock)
- 1/2 package of firm tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 5 wholes leaves nappa cabbage, chopped (optional)**
**When using scallion kimchi we like to add nappa cabbage for additional texture and its ability to lighten up the broth. If using cabbage kimchi as your base, you can omit the cabbage.
- Rinse the scallion kimchi once under water. You can skip this step if you are using semi-ripe kimchi or cabbage kimchi. Scallion tends grab on to the flavor and can ripen quickly hence the quick rinse to get rid of the excess seasoning. Just rinsing it once or twice should do the trick. Upon rinsing, cut the scallions in half and set aside.
- Rough chop the onion, and cut the pork about bite size.
- Slice the tofu into bite size, about 1" cube, and set aside.
- In a medium sized pot, put about a teaspoon of oil and start cooking the pork. Once the fat has rendered a little bit, add the onions. Continue to stir so that the pork and onion can cook on all sides. After another 3-5 minutes, add the kimchi and the nappa cabbage (if using).
- Add the stock, and the sugar. Let it come to a simmer.
- Add the tofu and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with a bowl of rice and some side dishes or add some noodles and enjoy!
© 2018, Gotham Grove